Friday, March 16, 2012

Thursday Dinner Challenge

Well, life has been a little crazy this week.  So Darlene and I weren't able to Skype while we cooked dinner last night.  But that didn't stop us from making the recipe that we decided on earlier in the week.  Click here to visit Darlene's post about her chicken dinner. 

This week Darlene chose our menu and she shared her Chicken Roll-Ups Recipe.

Thanks so much for the recipe Darlene.  Supper was DELICIOUS.  The chicken was amazingly moist and tender.  Although I do have a confession to make.  The recipe called for Zesty Italian Dressing which I knew I had in the pantry.  Small problem.  It expired in November of 2011.  So....now what?  I had a hungry family to feed and no time to run to the store.  So after searching through the refrigerator and cabinets I decided to use Caesar dressing.  It was wonderful.  Of course I didn't confess to the family until after they all tried it and loved it.  
In the future I might try adding some fresh cooked spinach.  Or even some steamed asparagus rolled into the chicken would probably be delicious.  But it sure doesn't need anything.  It is delicious just as it is.
Here is the recipe for  Chicken Roll Ups
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I doubled the recipe)
  • Mozzarella Cheese (sticks or shredded) (I bought a block of Mozzarella and cut it)
  • Red Pepper Flakes (nope...no red pepper flakes either.  I sprinkled a little cayenne pepper)
  • Zesty Italian Dressing (Delicious with the Caesar Dressing I used)
  • Italian Bread Crumbs (aha...finally an ingredient I actually had)
  • 2 paper plates 
  • 2 sheets of waxed paper
  • meat pounder 
  • Instructions
    1. Cut your chicken breast in half 'longwise' to make 2 'thinner' pieces from each breast.
    2. Between waxed paper, pound your chicken breasts to make thinner.
    3. Sprinkle chicken 'lightly' with pepper flakes, place cheese at one end and roll up.
    4. Dredge first in Italian Dressing ... then in breadcrumbs
    5. Place on foiled baking sheet - sprayed with Pam
    6. Bake in 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes.
    7. Darlene will be out of town next week so no Skype crafting or cooking.  :(  I guess the good news is that I have two weeks to pick a great recipe for our dinner challenge.  The pressure is on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. -Shelly